KBR Historian in Mountain View, California
The mission of the NASA Ames History Office is to explore, elucidate and preserve the scientific and engineering experience of the NASA Ames Research Center, and make it relevant to NASA’s present and future. It is NASA policy to stimulate the rigorous historical study of NASA history, to preserve that historical record and make it available through reference collections, and to communicate the findings of that historical study both internally and externally.
The candidate will provide expertise on the history of NASA Ames, produce historical publications, and contribute to the historical reference collection.
Required support includes, but is not limited to:
· Support the administrative work necessary for the operation of the NASA Ames History Office.
· Research the history of Ames, including its management, competencies, activities, origins, and personnel.
· Collect and compile research data about the history of Ames.
· Author publications and other documentation about the history of Ames such as monographs, articles for NASA newsletters and peer-reviewed publications, conference papers, presentations, speeches, biographies, books, and shorter pieces.
· Ensure all research and writing is consistent with NASA policy and standards and meets the highest scholarly standards of historical research in substance, process, and presentation.
· Regularly transfer research data, associated correspondence, and work products to the History Office archives.
· Support the formulation and maintenance of data archiving plans for Ames historians.
· Provide technical expertise for the preparation of historical material, such as exhibits, books, papers, reports, briefings, articles, brochures, presentations, video productions, and social media productions.
· Conduct historical interviews and oral histories.
· Support development of outreach activities and materials for the NASA Ames Senior Advisor for History, and for key NASA and Ames anniversaries.
· Attend and support public events, as well as provide public service appearances, when appropriate.
· Attend meetings or reviews associated with historical planning.
· Support History Office reference services and respond to historical queries from within NASA, outside institutions, and the general public.
· Support development of content for the History Office websites and assure that the information contained on the sites is current and relevant.
· Support the research and description of collections in the History Office Reference Collection, as well as complex appraisal activities.
· Conduct peer review for historical publications generated at NASA Ames or being considered elsewhere for publication.
· Maintain scholarly communication and represent Ames within the larger historical community.
· Serve as liaison to the Chief Historian at NASA Headquarters and to other organizations and professional societies on matters of historical practice, and with the history offices of the other NASA centers.
· Assist in the preparation and selection of proposals to fund other work on the history of NASA and, if appropriate, help in the administration or technical oversight of those grants and proposals.
· Support editing, physical production, and distribution of documents and books.
· Attend professional conferences and NASA History Program meetings.
· Provide technical oversight to History Office assistants, interns, and subcontractors.
Bachelors in History of Science and Technology or a related field and 5 years of experience with historical research and writing expertise.
· Flexibility to multi-task and meet competing deadlines
· Strong organizational, documentation, and tracking skills
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Working knowledge of computers, Macintosh platform and standard office software programs
· Proficient using computer databases, supporting website development, using computer file sharing services
Desired Education, Experience, Skills or Training:
· MS/Ph.D. in History of science and technology or a related field
· Research and writing expertise in aerospace history
· Published work in peer-reviewed journals
· Experience conducting oral interviews
· Prior experience working at NASA Ames Research Center or another NASA center
· Understanding of contractor/civil servant protocols
· Establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships with coworkers, NASA task customers and the customers of the organizations we support
· Capability to work independently and as part of a team
· Knowledge of current NASA policies and procedures
· Familiarity with customizing video clips and soundtracks for presentations
· Familiarity with computer backup systems
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Primary Location: US-US-CA-Mountain View
Req ID: 1076193